Elsen Tasarkhai is a crossing, which extends about 80km and lies between Mongol Els and Khugnu Tarma Els.
Mongolia’s ancient capital, Karakorum, Chinggis Khaan’s fabled city, was founded in 1220 in the Orkhon Valley, at the crossroads of the Silk Road. It was from there that the Mongol Empire was governed until Kubilai Khan moved it to Beijing. It served as the capital for 40 years. Following the move, and the subsequent collapse of the Mongolian empire, Karakorum was abandoned. What was left was used to help build the glorious Erdene Zuu monastery in the 16th century. Nearby are Turkish monuments and rock inscriptions erected in 8-9th centuries in memory of outstanding fighters for independence.
The symbolic ruins of Karakorum monumental walls (400 m of length) with 108 stupas, surround the first Buddhist monastery in Mongolia Erdenezuu Monastery, built in 1586. In 1792, it housed 62 temples and 10,000 lamas which were badly destroyed during the Stalinist purges in the 1930s. After the democratic movement in 1990, it has become an active monastery again. Turtles carved from stone mark the boundaries of the complex. Today it retains much of its former glory. Enclosed in an immense walled compound, the 3 temples within are dedicated to the 3 stages of Buddha’s life: as a child, adolescent and adult. The main, central temple is called the Zuu of Buddha and has statues of Buddha as a child. Outside the monastery walls are 2 ‘turtle rocks’. Four of these once marked the boundaries of ancient Karakorum.
It is a waterfall on the Ulaan River which cascades from an impressive height of 20 meters, and extends for 100 meters from the Orkhon River. The Orkhon River flows through basalt rocks from the Gyatruu range to Karakorum soum.
Ugii Lake is 1,337 meters above the sea level in Ugii soum in Arkhangai province. It covers 25 square kilometers, and is known for its rich bird and fish diversity. The fish population is represented by pike, catfish and barscharten, the most common types, which provide enough fish for industrial fishing. Fifty to eighty tons are caught annually. Among the birds, it is not rare to spot Swan Goose, White Spoonbill and Dalmatian Pelican.
The monastery is located on the peak of the Undur shireet and is at a height of 2,312 meters. It was erected by Zanabazar (1st Bogd Gegen in Mongolia) in 1654 on the smooth grand of the south slope of steep rock about 20 meters high with 14 small temples. Zanabazar created his famous script “Soyombo” there in 1680. This temple has enjoyed state protection since 1998 and was registered by UNESCO in the world heritage with the by grading of “The most wonderful valuable object” in 1996.
This region in the center of the country is Mongolia’s version of Switzerland-with beautiful mountains, meadows, rivers, lakes and forests. It includes the Khangai Mountains, the second highest range in the country, as well as the Chuluut River, with a scenic gorge and the Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur, or White Lake. A marvelous area for trekking on foot or horseback. There is also excellent fishing in the area. Tsetserleg, the capital of the province, is located in a beautiful mountain setting.
The Chuluut River flows through a sheer basalt canyon which extends 100 kilometers from the mouth of the Teel River to the Atsat. This river is rich in fish.
A river in Arkhangai province, is full of fish such as Trout, Pike, Mirror Carp, Taimen, Sig, River Perch, Siberian Umber, Roach, Ide, Amur Catfish and Burbot.
Terkhiin Tsagaan Lake is an astonishingly beautiful lake with crystal clear fresh water. Torrents of lava issuing from the Khorgo volcano blocked the north and south Terkh Rivers, so forming the dammed lake of Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur at an altitude of 2.060 meters above sea level. The lake is 16 kilometers wide, 4 to 10 meters deep and 20 kilometers in length, a total of 61 sq.meters. The lake supports Pike and other fish. Rare birds are found here.
This is a spa with water issuing at a scalding +86.5 degrees Celsius with the stench of hydrogen sulphide (‘rotten eggs smell’). Formerly piped to provide hot water to greenhouses for cultivation of tomatoes and cucumbers all-year-round, the spa waters are now used as a new spa resort, opened in 1996.
Khugnu Tarny Monastery has two parts, an upper and a lower part. The monastery belongs to three different times of Buddhism in Mongolia-ancient, middle and late. Prince Bishrelt of the former Tusheet Khan Aimag founded the monastery at the beginning of the 17th century. Next Zanabazar dedicated this Monastery to one of his teachers, Erdenetsogt. It was built in 1670-1680 and was destroyed during the war of Galdan Boshigt, a fighter opposed to Manchurian domination of Mongolia. After the democratic movement in 1990 restoration of the temples was led by the Granddaughter of the monks who were living at the monastery when it was destroyed.
The National Park covers 28 sq. km including Togoo Uul (2,240 meters above sea level) and Hill of the lake of Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur. It has been protected since 1965, fully since 1994, to safeguard spectacular mountain scenery and endangered fauna and flora.
Khorgo Uul is a dead volcano which lies on the east of the Terkhiin Tsagaan Lake in Arkhangai province. The volcanic crater is 200 meters wide and 100 meters deep. The northern slope is covered with Siberian Larch. Red Deer, Siberian Deer, Wild Boar, Ruddy Shelduck and Duck.